Regardless of whether you prefer MailerLite or ConvertKit, an efficient marketing software product for any business requires proper investment in time and an array of solutions. These measures don’t have to be complicated, though. To get an idea about which product is better than the other, you’ll need to match their functions and use the comparison to see the good and bad aspects of each application. After that, you’ll determine which one suits your needs better. Besides the robust features, go for the application that is easy to understand and use.
The cost should not be a significant factor in deciding which product is ideal for you. I doubt there’s anyone who wants a free product that is unpolished and buggy. It’s better to pay a premium for a product that satisfies your needs and wishes. However, before you subscribe to the premium service, ensure that the features of the email marketing service are worth the price. With such considerations, the comparison between MailerLite and ConvertKit is always interesting.
MailerLite, on the one hand, is an email marketing application that you can use for free until you attain 1,000 subscribers, has polished marketing automation features and can be embedded on your website, among other excellent features. ConvertKit, on the other hand, is an application that charges the user from the get-go and provides almost similar features.
Based on this description, one is inclined to select the former over the latter, particularly if you don’t have a list yet. Suppose an email marketing tool with premium features was free. You would find it irresistible to take such an offer. However, much of the decision lies in the convenience and choice that the application offers. Still, the question that lingers is, which between MailerLite and ConvertKit provides the most satisfaction and comfort for your business while implementing an email marketing strategy? Therefore, this post looks at the unique features of the applications, their pros and cons, and the effectiveness of the tools for particular businesses.
Since its launch in 2005, Mailerlite has gradually built a reputation as one of the most cost-effective email marketing software programs in the market. Though founded in 2015, Converkit has recorded a similar splash in a shorter period, a milestone attributed to their excellent wide range of email services that are beneficial to their target clientele.
You cannot go wrong with both MailerLite or ConvertKit, as both are equally excellent email marketing platforms. However, your choice for the best one solely rests on what you deem is convenient for your needs. Whereas some may find MailerLite easy to operate, others will find ConvertKit complicated, and vice versa. Consider the following comparison of the unique features in each of the two, beginning with MailerLite.
MailerLite: Light on the Budget, Heavy on the Email Marketing
Contrary to its name, MailerLite is not “lightweight.” The tool offers everything that you require to create an email list of your ardent followers and exchange with them emails that range from one-and-done broadcasts to trigger-based campaigns. The following features make MailerLite unique from ConvertKit.
MailerLite is irrefutably the most affordable email marketing software on the market today. They cater to your first 1,000 subscribers. So, until you attain over a thousand subscribers, you’ll enjoy their services for free. Even with free access, you still enjoy access to all of its features. Whereas other tools may restrict you from utilizing specific features, MailerLite offers you options such as A/B testing, automation rules, landing page builder, and form builder to help you build a list much easier.
After you reach more than 1,000 subscribers, you start paying a monthly fee of $10 until you accumulate 2,500 users. Between 2,500 and 5,000 users, the cost increases to $35 per month. Beyond this, you will have to pay $50 per month for 10,001 to 15,000 subscribers.
You can draw a comparison to other common apps. You can access this tool free until you attain 2,000 clients. However, this app is silent on its subscription fee once you eclipse 2,000 subscribers. The reality is that once you reach between 2,001 and 5,000 subscribers, the monthly cost is $50, which is the same amount that you pay for 10,000 to 15,000 subscribers in MailerLite. For other apps, the cost increases as your client’s list grows, thus putting your finances on edge. Therefore, consider MailerLite seriously if you are after a cost-effective email service application that doesn’t restrict you from its features.
Drag-and-Drop Email Builder
There are instances where you have to send emails composed of other features besides the standard text to your subscribers. This is mainly in cases where clients prefer visual factors as they comprehend them faster than text emails. You thus have to make sure that in addition to communicating your ideas better and conveniently, you also grab the attention of your clients.
With MailerLite, you’ll have access to the drag-and-drop builder which helps you to send attractive emails to your subscribers without distorting the message. If you do not have any design experience, then MailerLite is the perfect tool for you. As you create emails on this platform, you can easily drag and drop elements onto the email as though you’re a seasoned designer.
There are some similarities between MailerLite and Thrive Architect, as it does not require you to write codes to achieve the outcome that you want for your emails. For instance, if your design is not impressive enough, you have the option of choosing another one from an array of newsletter templates that allow you to edit and tweak until it suits your requirements.
MailerLite is ideal for those whose businesses are dependent on setting up shops in expos and tradeshows. The essence of having booths in such events is to attract your target clientele to have a look at your products and get more information about your business. Also, you want to prevent them from slipping away after browsing your wares in the booth by keeping in touch with them. The best way to do this is to request all those who visit your booth to leave their contact details, which you can add to your mailing list. Although there is a wide range of tools on the market that can help you capture the names and email addresses offline, MailerLite is among the few marketing applications that can do this task.
Use the Subscribe App on iOS on your iPad to gather email addresses of those who visited your booth, and you would want them to know more about your services. This app helps you collect their details even if there’s no internet connection. Once you go online, the app automatically loads all the information. Besides, it only takes you a couple of seconds to set up the sign-up page on the iPad.
Other Notable Features
- Use popups, embedded opt-in forms, and landing pages to increase the number of your subscribers
- Events, conditions, and triggers are useful when setting up email marketing automation workflows
- By closely monitoring the number of opens, unsubscribers, and unopened, you can track the results of your campaign.
ConvertKit: Turning Blog Visitors into Loyal Subscribers
As MailerLite focuses on small businesses, ConvertKit targets bloggers and other content creators. Unlike those who run small businesses, bloggers and content creators have varied sets of needs and wants for their email marketing software. ConvertKit provides bloggers and freelancers with all the features that they need. The following are some of the elements that distinguish ConvertKit from MailerLite.
Simple Text-Based Emails
People are more becoming visual animals with an increased inclination towards visual content rather than written. However, you should note that this is not a generalization as it doesn’t apply to everyone. There is still a high percentage of clients who prefer text-based emails as it passes on a natural and organic feeling, similar to the one you get when talking to a family member. Newsletters with excessive colors and graphics are most likely created by the brand’s marketing team. If you congest your newsletter, then you risk distorting the personal touch of your emails.
ConvertKit makes the process more comfortable as it only sends text-based emails. Therefore, it means that you won’t be able to build visual emails to your clients. However, text-based emails are essential if you want to appear as a helpful friend to your clients without coming off as a polished, corporate brand. Still, with limitations on the kind of emails you can send to aid in avoiding analysis paralysis, you have a great chance to compose the best emails for your customers.
Grow Your List Using Content Upgrades
One way of creating your email list is by incentivizing your subscribers. Popups such as “sign up to my monthly emails” or “receive my newsletter” are not enough to build a robust list. Sending out quality emails frequently to your subscribers is not enough. You need to put in extra effort and think of something that adds value to your target clientele.
It, therefore, calls for a content upgrade. Working in the same way as a “tripwire,” content upgrades are ideal in tipping the scales to efficiently persuade your blog visitors to sign up and get a subscription. Forms of content upgrades include webinars, whitepapers, and e-books.
For instance, if your post is about how to start and run a blog, you may find it necessary to offer a free e-book about various ways through which you can monetize your blog. Since the post is about running a blog, the e-book complements the ideas captured in the post, thus acting as an appropriate content upgrade. But for your target audience to enjoy the content upgrade, they have to sign up and become bona fide subscribers. With ConvertKit, you’re able to incentivize the opt-in forms by integrating the content upgrade to the form. The file is only available for download to the subscribers.
Advanced Email Marketing Automation Features
Although MailerLite features automation capabilities, ConvertKit boasts more advanced features to help you create your list. The outstanding features of ConvertKit’s automation lie in its ability to go through each of the subscriber’s steps according to the prevailing parameters.
To send customized emails to your subscribers, select from Event, Action, and Condition. For example, if you want to send emails to your clients based on the actions that they desire, then click on Condition to choose which tag or which custom field will receive a specific email in your automation workflow. Still, if you want to select a part in your window, you should select an Event and then establish the trigger that the workflow will follow (e.g., tag added, removed, date).
- The ability to create landing pages and countless forms makes it easier to grow your list. It also helps you to break down the performance of each by referring to the reports feature that reveals CTR, open rates, etc.
- A free concierge migration service assists those who want to transfer their email list from another platform to ConvertKit. However, you must have 5,000 subscribers and more to enjoy this service.
- Its ability to integrate with third-party tools helps in simplifying workflow and increasing efficiency.
Pros and Cons of MailerLite and ConvertKit
Email marketing apps are more complicated than you may think. Most of them are great and provide relevant features to justify your intention of selecting them. Due to their unique features, it is easier to make a case for MailerLite or ConvertKit based on the needs of your company.
Typically, you can’t find an email marketing tool that has flaws. However, the best email marketing platform that you chose soon develops dents and scratches that weren’t there when you first subscribed. The same case applies to MailerLite and ConvertKit. Despite their excellent features, not everyone finds them great. Therefore, exercise caution when signing up for a premium subscription on either of them. Consider the following pros and cons of each application before choosing one.
Pros of MailerLite
- Numerous customizable features: MailerLite is the ideal email service of choice if you want to brand all the emails that you want to send. It lets you customize all the available newsletter templates to incorporate your color scheme and logo. Its unsubscribe page has a feature for editing the message before they decide to unsubscribe from your mailing list should they hope to return to the fold. Also, you can integrate a personal touch to all your emails. This can be achieved by uploading your photo to aid in creating images to apply to all of your emails.
- It’s affordable: MailerLite’s cost-efficient pricing makes it top the list of most people. Although it doesn’t have a free plan for users below 2,000, it’s much cheaper than most of its rivals in the long run.
Cons of MailerLite
- Non-transparent approval system: Whereas the sign-up process on other platforms is free if you’re on a trial period, with MailerLite, you have to follow a step-by-step process before the system approves your account. The tedious process requires you to fill out every detail of your account, including the email linked to your website domain, your site, and other corresponding information. The challenge is that there’s no guide to take you through the steps required to complete the process. You’re thus left on your own to figure out how to finalize the subscription process and wait for its approval. Furthermore, the system doesn’t give you a notification if your subscription is rejected. It’s very unprofessional to put in all the efforts in building your profile, only for the application to get a dismissal in the end without knowing the reason.
- Numerous options: The availability of too many options in MailerLite may distract you from making the right selection. If you’re not well versed with the best email marketing services, then you’re at the risk of encountering hurdles while using MailerLite. For instance, there’s a probability you may be adding excess images in your newsletter, resulting in all your emails landing in the spam folder of your subscribers.
Pros of ConvertKit
- Subscriber-based system: While other applications implement the list-based system, with ConvertKit, you can use tags to organize all of your subscribers. Subscribers are not separated according to lists, and this makes emailing them much more effective and convenient. You’re not required to initiate the same campaign for every list. You just need to enter the tags of the targeted subscribers that you wish to receive emails from, and this is done with a single action.
- Simple and straightforward: This tool embraces the idea that less is indeed more. Although ConvertKit has limited features compared to other popular software on the market, its efficiency and outreach are as good as those of the best email marketing applications. Therefore, the application is easy to use. Intuitively, even those without prior experience in email marketing, can navigate it. The feature of creating autoresponders is fun and enjoyable to use.
- Incredible automation flow: One aspect that makes ConvertKit outstanding is its excellent guide to what your recipients are getting. You can easily set up flows such that should subscribers do X, then they receive Y series of emails. This tool also makes it very easy for this process in a chart format, which is much easier than what other applications show.
Cons of ConvertKit
- High cost: If you’re working on a budget and want to build on email marketing software, then ConvertKit may not be the best for you. The cheapest monthly subscription costs $29, which might be a little bit expensive, particularly if you don’t have any subscribers yet. While it may not be as expensive as other email marketing platforms, MailerLite comes out as more affordable in this regard. Besides, considering the simplicity of the platform, it’s baffling the amount of fee they charge for their premium users.
Which One is Right for You, MailerLite, or ConvertKit?
Based on the above review, it’s evident that both platforms work under different principles for their approach in email marketing. However, MailerLite boasts appropriate features and options for those running small businesses as it has the best ways on how to create and engage users. If you intend to spruce up your emails and launch attention-grabbing campaigns to give your audience a lasting experience, then you’ll find the drag-and-drop builder ideal.
Conversely, ConvertKit’s primary focus is providing bloggers and other content creators a platform to create their ideas clearly and concisely without the entrapment of unnecessary elements. However, the subscription fee for a premium client is a factor worth considering. If you’re low on funds but still want to get an email marketing tool, then MailerLite comes out as a better option as it has a free plan. Nevertheless, with ConvertKit, you don’t have to wait for your account approval before you can utilize all of its features. Therefore, until your account is approved, exercise caution when choosing MailerLite as your platform of choice.
If simplicity ranks top among the factors you consider when choosing an email marketing platform, the ConvertKit has the most essential features to help you in building your list and information that matters to your targeted clientele. With its powerful marketing automation features, you’ll keep yourself busy until you get the best combination of an autoresponder that keeps your list healthy and your subscribers engaged.
Bearing in mind that ConvertKit costs way more than MailerLite, it won’t surprise that users will readily spend on ConvertKit to enjoy all of its iconic features. If you’re building a new site, then it’s better to start with a free tool like MailerLite. After you have created a list that aligns with your objectives, then you may consider moving all of them to a premium platform such as ConvertKit.
All said and done, value for money is crucial. It’s worth to subscribe to a service that you pay more but experience more power and flexibility. In this case, ConvertKit has the best automation and flow, as they’re keen on ensuring that you convert appropriately. Even for one more conversion could generate a significant income for you, way above that what you pay for the premium service. ConvertKit is thus the platform of choice as an email marketing tool.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can one import existing users into ConvertKit?:Yes, it is possible to switch subscribers from another application to ConvertKit
- Does ConvertKit help their clients migrate their subscribers from another tool? Yes. However, the service is only available to mid-size and larger accounts at a fee of $99 per month.
- Is it possible to track your results on MailerLite? Yes, one can use real-time reports to trace audience engagement and overall growth.